Loose tooth and loose tooth pain
There are many factors which are responsible for a loose tooth. Some of them may include poor oral hygiene, lessened bone strength and various gum related problems. Loose tooth is always accompanied by a sort of discomfort and pain. A loose tooth is frightening for people and loose tooth pain is an even more serious issue because it affects your day-to-day life.
How does loose tooth pain feel like?
Loose tooth pain may vary from sharp and throbbing to dull and achy. With loose tooth pain, people find it difficult to:
- bite and chew
- get through the day
- even sleep at night
A loose tooth can be treated by various methods like splinting, deep cleaning, night guards and many more. Eventually, the pain will subside. But it may take time. Read about loose tooth treatment.
There are some remedies that can be done to find quick relief from the throbbing pain at home before you visit your dentist.
More: Loose Tooth Treatment: How Do You Strengthen a Loose Tooth?
More: Tooth Loss (Edentulism): Causes, Prevention, Complications, Treatment
Loose tooth pain relief (Toothache relief): Home remedies that may help to relieve the pain quickly
Cloves are best known for their medicinal properties especially for their use in numbing the nerves. Eugenol is the chemical compound found in this spice. Eugenol works as a natural anesthesia and can be helpful for toothache relief. It can be used in any of the following ways:
- Take a cotton ball and put two drops of clove oil on it.
- Place it against the tooth affected until the pain recedes.
- Take a pinch of powdered clove and place it on the tooth.
- Chew a whole clove to release its oil and keep it on the tooth for half an hour or until the pain subsides
Ginger and cayenne both are natural painkillers. Capsaicin is the chemical compound found in cayenne. It helps blocking the pain messages from reaching the brain. The remedy can be used as:
- Mix equal parts of these spices with water and make a thick paste
- Roll a small ball of cotton into the paste in such a way that the ball is saturated with the paste
- Place the cotton ball on your tooth (avoiding the gums and tongue)
Both of these spices can also be used separately.
Salt water acts as a pain killing mouthwash because of the healing properties of salt. Saltwater cleanses the area around the tooth. It also helps to clean away the debris and reduce swelling. The steps to use it are:
- Dissolve one teaspoon of salt in a cup of boiling water
- Take some saltwater in the mouth and swish the mixture for about 30 seconds before spitting it out
- Repeat this thrice a day for better results
Peppermint has nerve numbing properties. It is therefore used as a remedy for loose tooth pain. It can be used as:
- Boil one cup water and add 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves to it
- Steep the mixture for 20 minutes
- Let the mixture cool
- Swish it around in the mouth before swallowing
Hydrogen peroxide provides a temporary relief until you see the dentist. It can be used in the following way:
- Take 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution and swish it inside the mouth for 20-30 seconds.
- Spit the mixture out.
- Rinse with water several times.
More: Loose Adult Tooth, Loose Tooth Pain in Adults
More: Loose Wisdom Tooth Treatment in Adults: Wisdom Teeth Removal and Extraction
Ice is also used for numbing the nerves. It can be used in this manner:
- Place a small ice cube in a plastic bag and cover it with a thin cloth.
- Apply it on the aching tooth for 15-20 minutes.
Apply pressure (acupressure)
An acupressure technique can also be used to stop the tooth pain for a short period of time until you meet your dentist.
Acupressure helps trigger the release of a hormone called endorphins which are also known as “feel good hormones”. It can be done as:
- With your thumb, press the point of the other hand where the base of the thumb and index finger meet.
- Apply pressure for about two minutes.