Natural Treatments for Dandruff: How do you get rid of dandruff overnight at home?
Dandruff can be easily controlled by following a healthy hair care routine. There are some simple natural home remedies which make the work even easier. Natural dandruff remedies do take time to show the results but they are effective and long lasting than any other treatment.
Coconut Oil & Lemon Massage: Can coconut oil get rid of dandruff? Is lemon juice good for dandruff?
Coconut oil is said to be a boon for hair. Coconut oil moisturizes the scalp and helps to restore scalp health by reducing flaking. It helps to eliminate dandruff and provides relief from itching nourishes the hair. Lemon juice is also a good option to treat dandruff at home without using harmful chemicals. Both these products can be used in the following way to treat dandruff:
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, make it warm and mix it with equal amounts of lemon juice.
- Massage the mixture on the scalp gently.
- Leave it on the scalp for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Fenugreek is a natural anti-fungal agent. It prevents the malassezia yeasts to multiply on the scalp and therefore it is effective in providing relief from dandruff.
Given instructions can be followed to use fenugreek pack to cure dandruff:
- Soak 2-3 tablespoon of fenugreek (methi) seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the softened seeds into a paste the next morning.
- Apply the paste to the scalp and hair ends.
- Let the paste sit for about an hour or two.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Curd works magic for dandruff. It is rich in vitamin B5 and proteins which are beneficial for hair. The protein content in curd helps fortify and moisturize hair and also repress annoying dandruff.
Curd also contains anti-fungal agents which are effective in reducing irritation and itchiness of the scalp. It also helps combat dandruff as it clears and tightens the scalp pores. Method for using curd as a home remedy for dandruff is given below:
- Apply a thick layer of whipped curd to the hair and scalp.
- Let it sit tight for about an hour.
- Rinse it off with a shampoo that’s mild.
More: Dandruff: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Baking soda calms the scalp and helps to produce less oil as it balances the pH of the scalp. It does not dry up the hair extensively and is soothing for the irritated and itchy scalp. Sometimes it is also used as a dry shampoo because of its oil-absorbing quality. Baking soda can be used for dandruff treatment in the following way:
- Damp the hair slightly.
- Rub a spoonful of baking soda on your scalp.
- Leave it on for one to two hour and then wash it off.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another effective way to treat dandruff. It contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that make it the best choice. It fights against the fungus that causes dandruff and that too without drying the scalp. Tea tree oil can be used in the following way to treat dandruff:
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil on your scalp and spread it evenly with the fingertips.
- Let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- A few drops of tea tree oil can also be added to the shampoo. Washing the hair with the mixture can help to achieve the desired results.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Can vinegar get rid of dandruff? How do I use apple cider vinegar for dandruff?
Apple cider vinegar is effective in getting rid of dandruff because the enzymes present in vinegar are so powerful that they can kill both bacterial and fungal infections. And thus it is one of the preferred remedies for dandruff.
It can be used in the following ways:
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and keep it in a spray bottle.
- After a regular hair wash, spray the mixture evenly on the wet hair.
- Massage the scalp well and leave it on for 20-25 minutes before rinsing it off with plain water.
Henna or Mehndi
Henna is a good conditioner for hair. It also helps to restore normal balance and prevent dandruff. Using henna alone can dry up the hair so it is used with other things which can soften the hair like curd or olive oil.
Henna is used in the following way:
- Mix Henna with tea liquor, curd and a dash of lemon juice in an iron utensil.
- Set this mixture aside for approximately 8 hours.
- Apply it to your scalp and cover full hair length.
- Leave it on for about 3 hours and then wash off thoroughly.
Neem juice: Can I use neem oil for dandruff?
Neem has anti-bacterial properties and is an amazing home remedy for dandruff. The method of using neem is easy and mess-free.
- Grind a bunch of neem leaves and form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
More: Is dandruff hereditary or hormonal?
Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and aloe vera hair pack
Multani mitti helps to restore hair health. Using multani mitti alone can dry up the hair, it is, therefore, used with aloe vera.
This simple hair pack can give soft, silky and dandruff-free hair. It is used as:
- Make a thick paste using multani mitti, aloe vera (skin removed) and water.
- Apply this mixture to the hair and scalp and leave it on for about 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
Orange Peel Pack
An orange contains some essential nutrients which help to strengthen the hair strands and make hair soft, shiny and smooth. The orange peel has anti-inflammatory properties and it works as an effective solution for dandruff and other scalp infection. It can be used as:
- Mix an orange peel with some olive oil and grind it.
- Apply this paste to the scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
The antifungal and antibacterial garlic is an amazing home remedy to get rid of stubborn dandruff flakes.
It can be used as:
- Take 10-12 garlic cloves and grind them into a fine paste using some water.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and roots.
- Post 15 minutes, wash it off with a good shampoo.